Borberek, Vurpăr, Burgberg

Vurpăr (Borberek) is set on the right side of Mures river, opposite to Vintu de Jos, at the base of Zebernyik castle. Its name is found in the documents with the following forms: in 1248 Burgberg, in 1320 Burgperg, in 1342 Borpergh, in 1421 Borberek, in 1508 Burchperg, in 1636 Vurpad. The medieval inhabitants of this settlement were Hungarians and Saxons, but the Saxons, beginning with the 16th century began to become Hungarians because ethnic assimilation. In medieval time they were catholics. The reformed community formed its congregation around 1590, more surely on the influence of the religious changes from Vintu de Jos. In 1317 the settlement already had a church, which was built at the turn of the 12th-13th century, when the Saxon inhabitants (hospites) arrived. This church was expended in the 17th century. (Acording to a document from 1492 St. Lenard was the patron saint of the church.) One of the first Transylvanian Gothic churches today lies abandoned and in ruins along the river Mures. Inside the building is filled with sludge up to its windows on a 3 meters height. The tower from the gate is also in ruin, it can hardly be recognized. The Gothic style can be noticed in every part of the church. The tower of the church was added later. On the little bell, next to the inscription, the year 1475 can be found. This bell was given to the reformed community of Oiejdea (Vajasd), and then it got to a reformed community from Hunedoara County. In the 18th century Vurpar was a mother congregation, and its church belonged to the reformed community. The parish built in 1740 soon began to crack, and according to some declaration from 1848-1849 the parish and the teacher’s house went into ruins. Then the church had 108 followers. Starting with 1964 the church is unused, its ceiling crashed and in is garden grows corn. Today the church has no followers. The settlement is part of the diaspora of the Reformed Congregation of Alba Iulia.
The few remained followers go to church to Vintu de Jos. Recovered lands of the reformed community: 24,72 acres of meadow. The neglected graveyard still exists. The repairing of the roof, the painting of the walls and the cleaning of the church yard was done with the coordination of the engineer Márton Sarkadi and with the help of young volunteers from  the Sándor Ágoston Foundation from Budapest, whose leader is Ákos Horvát.
Reverends: Miklós (1361), Nicolaus Petri (1430), Antal Borbereki (1451), Albert Vincze (1492), Tóbiás Krízbai (alter 1690), Imre Keszeg (1743-1755), Mihály Ajtai (1755-), László Péterffy (1848-49), József Tankó (1919-1956).

WelcomeHistory of the parishDiasporasSzászsebes, Sebeş-Alba, MühlbachMarosszentimre, Sântimbru, EmrichsdorfAlvinc, Vinţul de Jos, Winz-WinzendorfSzékesvölgye: Kisenyed, Pókafalva, VingárdBorberek, Vurpăr, BurgbergChurch servicesNews / HeadlinesBrother communitiesSpiritual inner waysChildren's cornerDiacony supportReverend, presbitery and circumscriptionsFrancis Rákóczi IInd. Community CenterContact